When the question arises of how to properly operate racks in a warehouse, what are the requirements for racks, their sizes, which tests need to be carried out, with what frequency and how to take this into account documentarily, we try to find a regulatory legal acts that regulate these issues, but often we find outdated information or don’t find what we need at all.
Let’s take a closer look at this issue.
Previously “NPAOP 51.0-1.03-96 Rules for the protection of the public at the operation of bases, warehouses and temples, temporary and retail and commercial robots at wholesale trading sites, 08.05. 96 No. 78 “, and also” GOST 16140-77 “Collapsible racks. Technical conditions ” in which the requirements for shelving were put forward.
Some of them:
• racks must be periodically tested using static loads;
• in a visible place of the frame of the rack should be installed a plate containing the permissible load on the cell and section;
• racks must have protective grounding
and many other requirements.
But NPAOP 51.0-1.03-96 was excluded from the Index of regulatory acts on labor protection by order of the State Labor Service of Ukraine No. 55 of 05.24.2018, and GOST 16140 – 77 is no longer valid in Ukraine (according to the Base of regulatory documents of Ukraine ).
Therefore, we will consider the basic requirements for shelving, in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
According to NPAOP 0.00-1.75-15 – “Rules for the Protection of Human Rights and Roofing and Roofing” the following requirements are imposed on racks:
• Shelves for storage of goods should be inspected according to the schedule approved by order of the employer, the employee responsible for their good condition. (paragraph 14. section 4 Rozd. II)
• Shelvings for the storage of packaged goods must have a plate indicating the number of the rack and the load capacity of the center of the deck (shelf). (paragraph 13. section 4 Rozd. II)
• Metal storage racks must have a plate indicating the number of the rack and the total load capacity. (paragraph 13. section 4 Rozd. II)
• The aisles between racks and stacks should be between 0.8 m and 1.2 m, depending on the operations that are performed. (p. 18. p. 4 Rozd. II)
• Shelves for storing paint cans must be metal. Shelvings made of wood are treated with fire-retardant substances (items 24. P. 7 Rozd. III)
• It is forbidden to fill sections of racks above the racks, sides, stops that limit the fall of cargo. (paragraph 23. p. 8 Rozd. III)
• When storing combustible goods or non-combustible goods in combustible packaging on shelves with a height of 5.5 m or more, the warehouses in which these shelves are located must be provided with automatic fire extinguishing systems (paragraph 32 of clause 3 of Rozd. II)
In paragraph 13 of clause 4 of Rozd. II NPAOP 0.00-1.75-15 “Rules for the protection of public labor hours of plumbing and rosant installation of robots” , which reads as follows: “Racks for zberigannya materіalіv for the minds of experienced and book trading organizations iznatsіy povinnі vіdpovіdati vimogam GOST 23508-79 “Book-selling furniture for warehouses. General technical conditions “, we again encounter the already inactive GOST. (according to the Base of normative documents of Ukraine)
The next document which sets out the requirements for shelving is the “Rules for the Safe Life of Ukraine” registered in the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine 05 birch 2015 p. No. 252/26697.
The requirements are as follows:
• It is allowed to place racks made of combustible materials not more than 3 m high in warehouses located in houses of any degree of fire resistance, with passageways between walls and racks not less than 1 m wide. Shelving constructions (including shelves) more than 3 m high should made of non-combustible materials. (Clause 7 Clause 9.1. Rozd. VI)
• In the absence of heating appliances, shelving can be installed close to the walls. (Clause 7 Clause 9.1. Rozd. VI)
• The racks on which chemicals and materials are stored should be made of non-combustible materials and placed from heating appliances at a distance of at least 1 m. (Paragraph 4 of clause 9.4. Rozd. VI)
Thus, concluding, we can say that at the moment there is no separate regulatory act that would regulate the requirements only for shelving.
From the existing non-commercial non-commercial organizations listed above, we can formulate an algorithm for the main actions in the operation of shelving in the enterprise:
1) By order of the employer to appoint a responsible person for the technical condition of the racks;
2) By order of the employer to approve the schedule of inspection of shelves by the responsible person. Since the frequency of examinations is not specified in the NPAOP, the employer appoints it at its discretion.
3) The person responsible for the technical condition of the shelves needs to keep a free-form shelving inspection journal and keep it at the intervals specified in the schedule approved by the employer.
4) Ensure that there are plates on the shelves indicating the rack number and load capacity.
It should also be noted that when operating racks, you must adhere to the requirements of their operational documentation.
But then I found the requirements that relate to certification and now I think: standardization and certification do not quite apply to labor protection, is it worth adding these requirements. (I decided so on the example of dielectric gloves – for labor protection – they should be, but already the moment of their verification is a matter of metrology, standardization and certification, if the inspector is shown on the balance sheet that they are, but to say that they are at the door – he is not may request this act).
Then DSTU EN 15635: 2015 was canceled by order No. 393 of 11/21/2016 and introduced DSTU EN 15635: 2016.
The problem is that there is no DSTU data on the Internet in the Ukrainian language at all, but I searched for English for a long time only DSTU EN 15635: 2008 (I don’t know how true it is, but if you look from the order (above) , then it’s indicated in brackets. (I didn’t find the rest of DSTU even in English)
Translating this, DSTU found the following requirements:
6.3 Aspects of installation work that must be observed:
Aspects of installation work that must be observed include the following:
a) when using loading and unloading equipment, all storage equipment should be fixed on the floor to prevent the movement of racks. The number and type of floor mounts must be determined by the equipment supplier and must be installed in accordance with the supplier’s instructions.
B) single-pass, single-tier rack systems with manual loading without drawers less than 2.5 m high or two-tier less than 4.0 m high, may not be fixed on the floor if the ratio between the height of the loaded shelf and the total depth is less than 4: 1
– Warehouse equipment should be regularly checked for safety and, in particular, for any damage.
– Repair work must be carried out in a timely and efficient manner with due regard to continued safety.
– Records should be kept of all damage or other rack safety issues. (Journal)
The main structural questions to check should be:
a) impact damage to any part of the structure, in particular vertical damage and beam damage;
b) the perpendicularity of the verticality of the racks;
c) the condition and effectiveness of all components, especially the base plate and beams with vertical ties;
d) cracks in the welds or source material;
d) the condition of the shelves of the structure;
e) the position of the goods on the pallet;
22.214.171.124 Immediate reporting
As soon as a person detects a security problem or damage, it is immediately reported to the person responsible for the safe operation of the warehouse storage system.
Therefore, all persons should receive official instructions for the safe operation of their system, affecting their safety and the safety of others.
126.96.36.199 Expert reviews
A technically competent person should conduct inspections at intervals of no more than 12 months. A written report must be submitted to the person responsible for the safe operation of the warehouse storage system with comments and suggestions on any necessary actions.